Monday, April 7, 2008

Taste in Men: An Evolutionary Guide

This post is more from a personal perspective, and I'm not sure anyone will find any help in it. But I've been thinking about my taste in men throughout the years and I laugh at the strange trends (or lack there of) my heart has pandered over. Let's start young.


Year: 1996
Age: 9
Dream Man: Leonardo DiCaprio

After watching Romeo and Juliet, I found myself pining for a knight in shining armor. It was strange how huge my crush for Leo was, given my age. I had dozens of pictures of him on the walls of my room and I wrote "Gabrielle DiCaprio" on some of my notebooks. Funny, seeing as most of my friends weren't thinking about boys in that way quite yet. I didn't really tell anyone, it wasn't an open crush. I felt weird, I felt wrong for the way I felt, simply because no one related to me.


Year: 1998
Age: 11
Dream Man: Tuxedo Mask

And who wouldn't love the guy? Tall, dark and handsome, throws roses and recites poetry in the middle of battle? The man is a romantic to the core. What a dream to be the damsel in distress to this sort of gentleman? To be whisked away to the stars, wrapped up in a long black cape and supercute pop songs playing in the background. Of course, if he was my Tuxedo Mask, that would make me Sailor Moon. Even better!

Year: 1999
Age: 12
Dream Man: Zechs Marquise
My first run in with a "Bad Boy", and what a bad boy he is. Completely opposite of Romeo or Tuxedo Mask, Zechs Marquise is one of the main "villains" in the anime Gundam Wing. He's somewhat of the sympathetic antagonist. He does what he does with good intentions, it just means the demise of the planet Earth in the process. He's not truly the bad guy... he just really believes in things like Chaos Theory. That didn't make Steven Hawking evil, did it? And why should Zechs any different? Bottom line is, he's not. He's just misunderstood, and he might have a drinking problem...

Year: 2001
Age: 13
Dream Man: Davey Havok
And I think this is when I figured out that there was a place in my heart for girls. And by girls, I mean androgynous men. And my androgynous mean, I mean Davey Havok from AFI. The man (err... arguably man) was sensitive, romantic, a great singer, and covered in tattoos. What a dream boat! How could you not love a guy who wears makeup sexier than you do? At 14 years old, this was my heart-throb and I think everyone knew it. I went to every concert, owned a bunch of shirts, even drew pictures of the band. I was, by all means, obsessed with Davey Havok of AFI.

Year: 2005
Age: 17
Dream Man: Mido Hamada

To be honest, I fell in love with this guy because he played a personal hero of mine, the Lion of Panshir, in a movie. After thinking and thinking of what I wanted my children to look like, I figured that few men could help me achieve the genetics I wanted. I needed a handsome Mediterranean man to loan me 23 chromosomes and this was the one I picked. Sophisticated, sexy, mature, and he can speak English, Arabic, French, and German! What's not to love? Shut up... I know what you're thinking. I hate all of you. :P

Year: 2007
Age: 19
Dream Man: The Guy I Was Dating

Back in my freshman year of High School, I met a boy who honestly probably didn't know I existed. But he was in my math class and said some nice things to me, and was very handsome. It was my first tangible crush in my entire life. He was sweet, fun-loving, handsome, popular, but he wouldn't take notice of me until my senior year. We became good friends right after I graduated high school and started dating in 2006. By mid 2007, he had proposed to me (twice, since the first time I was reluctant) and this was the man I thought I was going to marry. I was wrong. He broke my heart. And my heart is still broken. And I still worry about him every day because he's also my best friend. Do I still wish to marry him? I don't know. He's not the person he was. He's not respectful of others nor himself, and he seems to have regressed in maturity. But I miss the man he was and I still love him.

Year: 2008
Age: 20
Dream Man: No Idea
Where do I go from here? I have a heart in need of mending, I'm not sure who can do that for me. I don't have a "dream man" anymore, mostly because I'm afraid that if I'm too choosy, I'll miss out on someone amazing. But my heart has been played with a few times lately and each time hurts. You'd think by now my heart would be numb, but it's not. I still long for affection and interaction. I long to be loved again.


No comments: